Thursday, August 12, 2010









Hello! Its Nalotuesha (aka Lena). I just got back from my home stay yesterday. Carrie, Laurie, and I left Monday evening and spent two nights and one full day in the boma belonging to Shani’s brother. At first I felt awkward, because I had no idea what to do or what people were saying. But we had two really good translators and Laurie had past experience which helped a lot. We drank tea and listened to the goats as they settled down for the night. We learned that they always sleep in the same place, every night. We also watched the cows come home which was pretty cool. It got dark very fast though, and there was no electricity or anything, only a couple of flashlights. We played games with the older kids and some of the men and one of the wives. By that time we were growing more comfortable. Also, by that time the little children had overcome their shyness and we were able to make friends with them. The children danced for us which was very cool. We were told that they practice the dancing every day. We didn’t eat dinner until right before we went to bed, which was about 10:30 I think. It was hard to know what time it was at the boma. The beds was only sticks tied together and covered in a cowskin, but we slept pretty well because we were so tired. I was woken the next morning by goats which was a little annoying but also kind of cool. That was the start of my first full day of the Masai lifestyle. I’m really not sure how to describe it without using clichés, but I will try. I think the best way to understand it is to think of Africa time, flexible time. The Masai do what they need to do to survive, but they don’t rush to do it. They take time to rest in the middle of the day, to drink tea, to dance. At least that is how I see it from my limited experience, but I admit I would need more time living in a boma to determine if I am right about the Masai lifestyle.
Our day progressed calmly. First we went and fetched water with one of the wives which was very interesting. We walked with the donkeys to the cistern which took about half an hour. Once there the wife filled the canisters we brought and the two little kids who had tagged along with us washed themselves with the water. They were both very cute. One of them held my hand the entire way there and back. The cistern was a social place, the women gathered there to fetch water. There were almost no men.
After walking back to the boma we relaxed in the shade of a large tree. The women and children sat with us and beaded and talked and sang. They sang and danced with us and also let us bead with them. We didn’t do that for long because it was almost lunchtime. After lunch we went to another shade tree not far from the boma. Many women and children from neighboring bomas had gathered to sing and dance with us. They were all very energetic and eager to talk to us. They laughed at us when we tried to dance like them but it was good natured laughter. When we were all tired of dancing we sat under the tree and asked each other questions through our translator. I had brought a kite as a present so I brought it out and showed the kids how to use it. They were all enthralled and all wanted a turn holding the string. Even the littlest toddler, who was still not very good at walking followed the big kids out and wanted a turn. Every time the kite fell, which was often because there wasn’t much wind, all the kids would run and try to be the one to pick it up and toss it back up into the air. It was incredibly cute.
And then we saw a wild…
TO BE CONTINUED!

2 comments:

  1. Nalotuesha sounds so exotic! Thanks for the literary postcard. It made my day to read about your experiences. What a cliffhanger too. Let me guess, a "wild elephant." I hope it was an elephant.

    Keep the wonderful notes and pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us. I can't wait to bring this to my classroom in September! Dawn Marie

    ReplyDelete